Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Eight Minute Hour

Below: Me during my freshman year in
the class i had my debate in
.

I sat down to start the debate. Looking ahead were many faces.
They were just staring at me, and judging my every move. I can feel my body shaking as my heart beats loudly in my head. It's so quiet that i swear everyone can hear my pulse. The person next to me seems so prepared and calm. It worries me. As they go to talk, I can't help but to think about all the people gazing up at us. What were they thinking? I don't even understand what the other person is saying. The words all mumble together in a big blur. Soon it's my turn to talk. I take a deep breathe. I can smell cardboard and old window cleaner in the air. I feel sweat trickle down my forehead. I go to wipe is off. Next thing i know the words "times up" come out of the teachers mouth. It's my turn now. Heat rushes to my head as i stand up. My hearts beating so loud in my ear it sounds like it's about to fall out. I look like I'm having a seizure because I'm shaking so bad. When i go to speak, my words tremble out of my mouth. For eight minutes i was up there stuttering over myself. It felt like a whole hour had passed by the time the teacher called out for me to be done.

1 comment:

  1. how did you like the debate when you were in school jesica.

    ReplyDelete